If you’re on a budget of some sort when you go away (who’s not?), you don’t wanna waste your money on things that won’t improve your holiday quality. That’s why I’ve put together a list of 5 ways to save those pennies!
- Eat in restaurants away from the main touristy areas. I’m not saying hike 20 miles out of a city area, but don’t eat near places where there are hoards of tourists. For example don’t eat anywhere near Times Square in New York or Piccadilly Circus in London. Food in these touristy areas will also not be authentic local cuisine – you’ll pay a ridiculous amount for rubbish pizza and chips.
- Never pay to pick your seat on a flight. If you’ve booked with others, the likelihood is you’ll be placed together or if not, you’ll be able to swap with other passengers. This happened to us recently on a Ryanair flight whereby everyone seemed to be separated from their group. I don’t think anyone stayed in their ‘assigned’ seat on that flight as everyone had realised what they had sneakily done!
- Don’t take all your money as cash, use Revolut. If you don’t know about Revolut you ain’t living my friend. Okay slight exaggeration, but Revolut is the bomb. I’m going to write a post about how it works, but for now: it’s an app that comes with a debit card you can use worldwide with no commission and you won’t end up with leftover change you can’t change back.
- Shop around for hotel rooms/apartments. Found your dream hotel? Don’t book it before you’ve compared on other websites! With plenty of comparison sites like trivago, there really is no excuse for this one.
- Use public transport from the airport to city centre. This is one I’m quite passionate about. Why on earth you’d pay a ridiculous amount of money to get an organised coach transfer or a taxi, I have no clue. If the locals manage to get a bus/tram/train to the city centre, why can’t you do the same? If you’re worried about not knowing what to do when you get there, do a bit of research beforehand or ask airport staff when you arrive. Public transport will usually run until the last flight lands too.
Do you have any great money saving trips for travelling? Let me know in the comments below!